The blend of lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, fresh Thai chilies and fresh lime juice makes one of the healthiest yet most flavourful soups that will just blow you off. I’m talking about the Tom Yum Goong. Healthiest because it’s only 156 calories. Yes, you saw that right. So, if you’re looking for something healthy yet flavourful, here’s something you can try.
• 8 cups water
• 4 stalks lemongrass – bashed and sliced diagonally into 1-inch strips
• 1-inch chunk of galangal – sliced
• 10 kaffir lime leaves – tear up to smaller pieces
• 10 Thai chilies – sliced or pound a little
• 5 cloves garlic
• 500g prawns
• 300g oyster mushrooms
• 2 tomatoes – cut in wedges
• 2 onions – cut in wedges
• 2 tsp sugar
• 8 tbsp fish sauce
• 8 tbsp lime juice
• A bunch of cilantro
- Bring the water to boil in a pot.
- Add in the lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, garlic and chilies.
- Let it boil for about 10 minutes to release the flavours from the herbs.
- Add in the prawns or meat of your choice and turn the fire to low.
- Add in the mushrooms, onions and tomatoes and let it boil for a few minutes.
- Add in your seasonings (fish sauce and sugar) and adjust to taste
- Turn the heat off and add in the lime juice. Add more if you prefer it sour.
- Finally, chop up a handful of fresh cilantro and add in to the soup and stir. Turning off the fire before adding the lime juice and cilantro will give your tom yum soup a fresher taste and vibrant look.
- Serve and enjoy.