Delicious and bursting with flavour, Chicken Lettuce Wraps are tasty yet refreshing. It’s healthy and full of zest, yet won’t add the calories to any diet plans. It’s also easy to make on those busy nights. Imagine a meal that you can put together in less than 15 minutes? Plus, it’s also budget-friendly, and you can bulk up the recipe for emergencies.
Makes a great idea too for entertaining or family dinners. Each person can build their own fresh, delicious wrap by spooning a portion of meat on a lettuce leaf and wrap it like a burrito or fold it up and enjoy.
So how do you make this incredibly addictive wrap? The secret lies in the sauce that gives it’s rich and savoury depth – hoisin sauce, a sweet, salty, slightly tangy spiced sauce. Mix it with soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil to make that sticky glaze that’s incredibly delicious.
Here’s what you need to make your delicious wraps:
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 600g ground chicken or turkey meat
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 250g white button mushrooms, finely chopped
- Additional vegetables can also be added: diced onions, bell peppers, diced carrots
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- ½ cup spring onions, sliced thinly
- 2 small heads of butter lettuce
- Place the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil in a bowl and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the ground meat and cook, breaking it up into small pieces till fully cooked. Transfer the beef to a bowl and set aside.
- Cook the vegetables and other aromatics (garlic, ginger) and stir till tender.
- Return the meat into the pan and mix well with the vegetables. Add in the spring onions.
- Add in the sauce and cook, stirring occasionally. Add in the cornstarch to thicken. If needed, add in additional hoisin sauce for extra flavour.
- Break the lettuce leaves and pile them on a plate. Transfer the meat into a serving bowl and serve together with the lettuce leaves.