Chinese New Year is one of the most important festivals on the Chinese calendar, bringing a period of happiness and good luck. It’s also a time when many people start to clean their homes in preparation for celebrating not only with friends and family but with the whole neighborhood.
It is believed that spring cleaning brings good luck into your home which is why many people start cleaning more thoroughly during this traditional holiday season. To lessen the stress, save time and money, here’s some cleaning hacks to help you through.
Cleaning hacks using vinegar can be an effective and inexpensive way to keep your house looking clean. Vinegar can be used in almost any area of your home, including the bathroom and kitchen. The vinegar works as a natural cleaner, disinfectant and deodoriser, which means that you won’t need any chemicals or store-bought cleaners.
- Hard water stains on faucets? Just soak paper towels with undiluted vinegar and place them on the buildup. Leave it overnight, then scrub and rinse.
- Cleaning blinds can be a tedious task, especially if you have not cleaned them in a while. Mix an equal solution of vinegar and water, dip an old sock into the solution and run it over each slat to remove dirt or dust.
- Get rid of strong odours in your fridge or freezer with vinegar and make your home smell better.
You’ll be surprised by the power of baking soda. With its gentle abrasive nature and a natural deodoriser, it is a cleaning superstar. Here’s what you can use baking soda for:
- Absorb food odours by keeping a bowl of baking soda in the fridge to keep it fresh.
- Make a paste of baking soda with a little water and use it to clean countertops, stainless steel sinks, microwaves and cooking utensils.
- Bring back the shine in your silver with a paste of three parts baking soda and one part water. Apply the paste with a lint-free cloth then rinse off.
- Deodorise carpets, upholstery, smelly shoes, and your pet’s bed with baking soda. Just sprinkle the powder, leave it for 15 minutes then vacuum it up.
- Stinky gym or school clothes? Try soaking them for 30 minutes with a sink filled with water and 5-6 tablespoons of baking soda. Then wash it on your normal cycle to remove bad odours.
Combination of baking soda and vinegar
- Got a bathtub in your house? Then you know it’s a tiring task to clean it. By mixing one cup vinegar and half cup baking soda with hot water, you can clean your tub easily. Just pour the mix into the tub and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then fill your tub with hot water and let it sit again for 5 minutes. Drain the water and rinse thoroughly. The same solution can also be used for your toilet. Just soak, flush then wipe the seat.
- Got a burnt pot? No problem. Just fill the pot with water and then add a cup of white vinegar. Bring it to boil, turn off the heat and add 2 tablespoons of baking soda. Let it sit till the mix cools off a little then wipe the mixture off.
- Unclog your drain with pouring vinegar, baking soda and hot water in.
It is a common fact that lemons are used for cleaning purposes. Lemon has effective anti-bacterial, antiseptic, and cleaning properties. It also has bleaching properties which can remove stains from clothes, toilet, and kitchen items.
- Freshen your microwave with a mixture of lemon, vinegar, and water. Place the mixture in a bowl, set your microwave on high, let it cool and wipe down the inside of the microwave with a sponge or paper towel.
- Prevent food smells in your rubbish bin by placing lemon or lime slices in them. A great trick to freshen your bin before and during parties.
- Run the cut side of a lemon over your cutting board to remove food stains and smell. For tougher stains, you can sprinkle salt or baking soda first before using lemon.
- Add sparkle to your bathroom fixtures by running the cut side of a lemon over them to remove deposits. Rinse and dry thoroughly when you’re done to prevent water stains.
- Welcome your guests to your home with a makeshift scented humidifier. Simmer a pot of water with lemon slices to make your house smell nice.
When mixed with water, salt acts as a powerful disinfectant and deodorizer, so you can clean everything from your microwave to your bathroom and even the inside of your washing machine.
- Prevent buildup of grease in your kitchen sink by pouring a mixture of salt and hot water down. It will also help to deodorise it.
- Save the hassle of cleaning spills in your oven by sprinkling salt on the spills. Once it dries up, it’ll form a crust, making it easier to scrape out when it cools down.
- Use salt to deter pesky ants from paying a visit to your home. Just sprinkle salt on those places where you think they will sneak in to prevent them from appearing.
Do you have any cleaning hacks? Tell us in the comment section what your favourite hacks are.