During the lockdown, many of us worked from home and saw the dining table double-up as a work-from-home station. The struggle to get work done while at the same time trying to make or eat a decent meal can be difficult to many, especially when you are not used to cooking at all.
For two years, the pandemic got many hooked into trying quick, easy yet tasty recipes. Cue the hot chilli oil noodles, another trend that graced TikTok and other social media feeds.
The ASMR of hot oil sizzling with spices, garlic and the smell it emits. Doesn’t it just make your mouth water? Chilli oil noodles are the quickest and easiest noodles you can make in less than 20 minutes (not counting instant noodles, of course). Inspired by a Chinese cooking technique of releasing the aroma of ingredients by pouring piping hot oil, these noodles are spicy and delicious and will make you crave for more.
Here’s how you can make your chilli hot oil noodles
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp hot oil
- Instant noodles, yellow noodles or udon noodles – depends on your preference
Spring onion – chopped
Toasted sesame seeds
- Boil your noodles, drain and set aside.
- In a bowl, add chilli flakes, sesame seeds, black pepper, vinegar and soy sauce.
- In a pan, heat the oil with garlic. Make sure the oil starts steadily bubbling and hot enough.
- Pour the hot oil into the bowl of spices.
- Add the boiled noodles into the bowl and mix well.
- Garnish with spring onion, coriander or toasted sesame seeds.
- Your chilli noodles are ready to be served.
- To enhance the flavour, top the noodles with a sunny side fried egg.