If you love to hang out at the mamak, then chances are you’ll love that lip-smacking mee goreng mamak. Mee goreng Mamak, or Mamak-style noodles is a dish usually fried with fresh yellow noodles, pan-fried tofu, vegetables. The noodles are then tossed on the wok with a delicious sauce that’s spicy, savoury, sweet and tangy.
Here’s how you can fry mee mamak at home.
• 2kg yellow mee or mee kuning
• 3 cloves garlic – minced
• 4 red onions – sliced thinly
• 1 block of hard tofu – diced and fried
• 1 tomato – diced
• 60g seafood like squid or prawns, or you can sub for chicken fillet
• 1 bowl of beansprouts
• Cabbage or choy sum – roughly chopped
• 3 eggs
• 1 cup dried chilli paste or cili boh
• 2 tbsp tomato sauce
• 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
• 1 tbsp soy sauce
• Salt and sugar to taste
• Cooking oil
• Red chillies
• Crispy fried onions
• Lime wedges
- Heat up the wok with some oil. Add in some garlic, sliced onions and the chilli paste. Fry until you see oil on top of the chilli mix. Add some sugar and salt and set aside.
- Stir fry the remainder onions and garlic until fragrant. Add in the meat or seafood and stir till cooked.
- Add in the vegetables, tofu and tomato. Stir before adding the noodles, beansprouts, sauces and chilli paste fried earlier.
- Mix well then push the noodles to one side.
- Add a little oil into the wok and add in the eggs.
- Scramble the eggs till cook, then combine it all with the noodles.
- Dish the noodles out, garnish and serve.